History of Doppler Echocardiography
Timeline of the progress in Doppler echocaardiography
Another timeline and references
1956 Satomura S et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.1)
1956 Satomura S et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.2)
1956 Yoshida T et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.3)
1956 Hikita G et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.4)
1956 Satomura S Inspection of cardiac function by Doppler. (ref.5)
1959 Satomura S Flow pattern in peripheral arteries by Doppler. (ref.6)
1961 Franklin DL et al. Continuous flow Doppler. (ref.7)
1961 Kaneko Z et al. Studies on peripheral circulation by Doppler. (ref. 8)
1966 Rushmer RF et al. Continuous flow Doppler. (ref.9)
1967 Baker DW et al. Pulssed Doppler. (ref.10, ref.14)
1967 Strandness DE et al. Continuous flow Doppler. (ref.11)
1969 Wells PNT Range-gated ultrasonic Doppler system. (ref.12)
1969 Peronneau EPA et al. Doppler flow meter. (ref.13)
1971 Side CD and Gosling RG Esophageal continuous wave Doppler. (ref.15)
1972 Kalmanson D et al. Doppler flow meter, (ref.16)
1974 Olson RM and Cooke JP Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler. (ref.17)
1974 Duck FA et al. Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler. (ref.18)
1975 Daigle RE et al. Esophageal Doppler. Examination of Dog. Not human, (ref.19)
1976 Nealeigh RC et al. A venous pulse Doppler catheter tip flowmeter. (ref.19A)
1978 Hisanaga K et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. This is the first human transesophageal pulsed Doppler in history. (refe.20)
1978 Brandestini M et al. M-mode and multigated Doppler flow meter. (ref.21, ref.22)
1979 Hisanaga K et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. (ref.23)
1979 Histand MB et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler. (ref.23A)
1979 Holen J and Simonsen S Determination of pressure gradient with Doppler. (ref.24)
1981 Hisanaga K et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. (ref.25)
1981 Schulter M et al. Mitral regurgitation detected by transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mmode by
A.T.L. system. (ref.26, ref.28)
1982 Hisanaga K et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. (ref.27)
1982 Bommer WJ and Miller L Real-time two-dimensional color flow Doppler. (ref.29)
1982 Namekawa K, Kasai C et al. Imaging of blood flow using autocorrelation, Color flow Doppler. (ref.30, ref.31)
1985 Kasai C et al. Imaging of blood flow using autocorrelation. Color flow Doppler. (ref.32)
1986 Goldman ME et al. Intraoperative trransesophageal real-time Doppler flow imaging. Color flow Doppler. (ref.33)
1986 Takamoto S et al. Transesophageal real-time Doppler flow imaging. Color flow Doppler. (ref.34)
1987 de Bruijn NP et al. Intraoperative transesophageal color flow mapping. (ref.35)
1989 Isaaz K et al. Ventricular wall motion measurement by Doppler. (ref.36)
1991 Bohs LN et al. Speckle tracking echocardiography. (ref.36A)
1992 McDiken WN et al. Color Doppler myocardial imaging. (ref.37)
1993 Becher H, von Bibra H et al. Contrast enhanced color Doppler. (ref.38)
1994 Sutherland GR et al. Color Doppler myocardial imaging. (ref.39)
1995 Paika P et al. Tissue Doppler imaging. (ref.40)
1995 Miyatake K et al. Tissue Doppler imaging. (ref.41)
2002 Trambaiolo P et al. Transesophageal tissue Doppler echo. (ref.42)
2003 Cheng MM et al. Transesophageal tissue Doppler echo. (ref.43)
2004 Lectman M et al. Speckle tracking echocardiography. (ref.44)
2004 Toyoda T et al. Speckle tracking echocardiography. (ref.45)
1. Satomura S, Matsubara S, Yoshioka M A new method of mechanical vibration measurement and its application. Mem Inst Sci Ind Res Osaka Univ 13: 125-133, 1956
Shigeo Satomura, PhD. From Short history of the development of ultrasound by Joseph Woo.
2. Satomura S. Study on examining the heart with the ultrasonic Doppler method : II. Equipment. Jpn Circ J 20: 227-228, 1956 Continuous wave Doppler.
3. Yoshida T, Mori M, Nimura Y, Okumura M, Hikita G, Nakanishi K, Satomura S. Study on
examining the heart with the ultrasonic Doppler method : lll. Kinds of Doppler beats. Jpn Circ J 20: 228,1956 Continuous wave Doppler.
4. Hikita G, Yoshida M, Satomura S et al. Study on examining the heart with the ultrasonic Doppler method : V. Doppler beats of the valve. Jpn Circ J 20: 625, 1956
5. Satomura S Ultrasonic Doppler method for the inspection of cardiac function.
J Acoust Soc Am 1957, 29:1181-1185 Continuous wave Doppler echo.
6. Satomura S Study of the flow patterns in peripheral arteries by ultrasonics.
J acoust Soc Jpn 15:151-158, 1959 Continuous wave Doppler.
7. Franklin DL, Schlegel W, Rushmer RF. Blood flow measured by Doppler frequency shift of back-scattered ultrasound. Science 134:564-565, 1961 Continuous wave Doppler.
8. Kaneko Z, Kotani H, Komuta K, Satomura S. Studies on peripheral Circulation by “Blood-Rheograph”: Jpn Circ J 25:203-213, 1961 Continuous wave Doppler.
9. Rushmer RF, Baker DW, Stegul HI. Transcutaneous Doppler flow detection as a
nondestructive technique. J Appl Physiol 21:554-556, 1966
10. Baker DW, Watkins D A phase coherent pulse Doppler system for cardiovascular measurement. In Proc. 20th Ann. Conf. on Eng. in Med. and BIol., Boston, Nov,1967 Pulsed Doppler
Donald Baker. From "History of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology".
11. Strandness DE, Schulty RD, Summer DS et al. Ultrasonic flow detection. A useful technique in the evaluation of peripheral vascular disease. Am J Surg 113:311-320, 1967
Continuous wave Doppler.
12. Wells PNT A range-gated ultrasonic Doppler system. Med Biol Eng 7: 641-652, 1969 Pulsed Doppler
13. Peronneau EPA, Deloche A et al. Debitmetrie ultrasonore: developpements et application experimentales. Eur Surg Res 1:149, 1969
14. Baker DW. Pulsed ultrasonic Doppler blood-flow sensing. IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics 1970 Vol.17 Issue:3 pp170-184 See references 10. Pulsed Doppler was reported by DW Baker 2 years before report of Wells.
15. Side CD, Gosling RG Nonsurgical assessment of cardiac function. Nature 1971, 232:335-336 Esophageal continuous wave Doppler echo
16. Kalmanson D, Vevrat C, Derai C et al. Non-invasive technique for diagnosing atrial septal defect and assessing shunt volume using directional Doppler ultrasound. Correlations with phasic flow velocity patterns of the shunt. Br Heart J 34(10):981-991,1972
17. Olson RM, Cooke JP A nondestructive ultrasonic technique to measure diameter and blood flow in arteries. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, March 21:168-171,1974 Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler echo
18. Duck FA, Hodson CJ, Tomlin PJ An esophageal Doppler probe for aortic flow velocity monitoring. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 1:233-241,1974 Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler echo
19. Daigle RE, Miller CW, Histand MB, Macleod FD, Hokanson D Nontraumatic aortic blood flow sensing by use of an ultrasonic esophageal probe. J Appl Physiol 38:1153-1160, 1975 Examination of dog. Transesophageal Doppler. Not human but Dog.
19A. Nealeigh RC, Miller CW. A venous pulse Doppler catheter tip: flowmeter for measuring arterial blood velocity, flow, and diameter in deep arteries. ISA trans. 15(1):84-87, 1976
20. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A A transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocaardiographic system and initial clinical results. Proceedings of the Japan Society of Ultrasonics in Medicine 34: 9-10, 1978 Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. This is the first human transesophageal pulsed Doppler in history. Improvement of A.T.L.system.
From ref.20 Transesophageal pulsed Doppler system.
From ref.20 Flow pattern in RVOT. Normal adult.
Kohzoh Hisanaga, MD.(Hisanaga K.) From "People who developed medical ultrasound". p35, Itoh K, Ed., Supplement of Proceedings of 60th Meeting of JSUM 1992. Kohzoh Hisanaga is not only an electronic engineer but also a medical doctor.
Dr. Hisanaga received the Honor Award of the Japanese college of cardiology in 1991 because Dr. Hisanaga developed "Transesophageal two dimensional echocardiography" for the first time in history.
21. Brandestini M. Topoflow - A digital full range Doppler velocity meter. IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics, Vol.25(5) 287-292, 1978
M-mode and multigated Doppler flowmeter
22. Stevenson JG, Brandestini MA, Weiler T, Howard EA, Eyer M. Digital multigate Doppler with color echo and Doppler display : Diagnosis of atrial and ventricular septal defects. Circulation 60(Suppl ll): 205, 1979 M-mode and multigated Doppler flow meter.
23. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A, Ichie Y, Nishimura K, Hibi N, Fukui Y, Kambe T
Transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography. Lancet 1:53-54, 1979
Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. Improvement of A.T.L. system.
23A. Histand MB, Wells MK, Reeves JT, Sodal IE, Adamson HP, Willson JT Ultrasonic pulsed Doppler transesophageal measurement of aortic hemodynamics in humans. Ultrasonics 17(5):215-218, Sep 1979
24. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A. Diagnosis of heart diseases by transesophageal 2D echocardiography and transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography. Eizou Jouhou Medical (in Japanese) 13:1189-1192, 1981
25. Holen J, Simonsen S. Determination of pressure gradient in mitral stenosis with Doppler echocardiography. Br Heart J 41:529-535, 1979
26. Schulter M, Langenstein BA, Hanrath P, Kremer P, Bleifeld W Mitral regurgitation detected by transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography. (abstr.) Eur Heart J, 2(suppl A) 114, 1981 Transesophageal pulsed Doppler by improvement of A.T.L.system.
27. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography (third report): Development of system without mirror and initial clinical results. Proceedings of the Japan Society of Ultrasonics in Medicine 40:171-172,1982
28. Schulter M, Langenstein BA, Hanrath P Transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography in mitral and aortic regurgitation, In:Hanrath P, Bleifeld W and Souquet J eds. Cardiovascular Diagnosis by ultrasound. pp132-140, 1982 Transesophageal Pulsed Doppler with M-mode by improvement of A.T.L.system.
29. Bommer WJ, Miller L. Real-time two-dimensional color flow Doppler -- Enhanced Doppler flow imaging in the diagnosis of cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiology (Abstract) 1982, 49:944 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler.
30. Namekawa K, Kasai C et al. Imaging of Blood flow using autocorrelation. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 8(Suppl l):138, 1982 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler
31. Namekawa K, Kasai C, Tsukamoto M, Koyano A. Real-time blood flow imaging system utilizing auto-correlation techniques. In Lerski RA, Morley P (eds.), Ultrasound, New York, Pergamon Press, pp203-208, 1982 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler.
Kouroku Namekawa. From "Meet The History" Japan Heart Foundation.
Mr. Namekawa received the Honor Award of the Japanese college of cardiology in 1990
32. Kasai C, Namekawa K, Koyano A, Omoto R. Real-time two-dimensional blood flow imaging using an autocorrelation technique. IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics, May: 32(3): 458-464, 1985 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler.
Chihiro Kasai. From Kobayashi Riken News No.67-6
33. Goldman ME, Thys D, Ritter S, Hittel Z, Kaplan J. Transesophageal real-time Doppler flow imaging: a new method for intraoperative cardiac evaluation (abstract) J Am Coll Cardiol 7:1, 1986 Transesophageal 2D color flow Doppler
34. Takamoto S, Kyo S, Matsumura M, Hojo H, Yokote Y, Omoto R. Total visualization of thoracic dissecting aortic aneurysm by transesophageal Doppler color flow mapping (abstract). Circulation 74(Suppl II):II–132, 1986 Transesophageal 2D color flow Doppler
35. de Bruijn NP, Clements FM, Kisslo JA. Intraoperative transesophageal color flow mapping: initial experience. Anesth Analg 66:386–390, 1987 Transesophageal 2D color flow Doppler
36. Isaaz K, Thompson A, Ethevenot G, Cloez JL, Brembilla B, Pernot C. Doppler echocardiographic measurement of low velocity motion of the left ventricular posterior wall. Am J Cardiol 64: 66, 1989 Ventricular wall motion measurement by Doppler.
36A. Bohs LN and Trahey GE A novel method for angle independent ultrasonic imaging of blood flow and tissue motion. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 38(3): 280-286, 1991 Speckle tracking Echocardiography.
37. McDiken WN, Sutherland GT et al. Color Doppler velocity imaging of the myocardium. Ultrasound Med Biol 18: 651-654, 1992 Color Doppler myocardial imaging.
38. Becher H, von Bibra H, Walther M, Glanzer K, Vetter H. Contrast enhanced color Doppler-Basics and potential clinical value. In:Nanda NC, Schlief R eds. Advances in echo imaging using contrast enhancement. Springer Link pp253-271, 1993
39. Sutherland GR, Stewart MJ et al. Color Doppler myocardial imaging: a new technique for the assessment of myocardial function. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 7(5):441-458,1994
40. Paika P, Lange A et al. Doppler tissue imaging: Myocardial wall motion velocities in normal subjects. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 8: 659-668, 1995
41. Miyatake K, Yamaguchi M et al. New method for evaluation left ventricular wall motion by color-coded tissue Doppler imaging: In vitro and in vivo studies. J Am Coll Cardiol 25(3): 717-724, 1995
42. Trambaiolo P, Salustri A et al. Assessment of left atrial appendage wall velocities by transesophageal tissue Doppler echocardiography: a clinical study in patients with sinus rhythm. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15(5): 425-432, 2002
43. Cheng MM, Li J, White PA et al. Doppler tissue echocardiography: Can transesophageal echocardiography be used to acquire functional data. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16(7): 732-737, 2003
44. Leitman M, Lysyansky P et al. Two-dimensional strain - A novel software for real-time quantitative echocardiographic assessment of myocardial function. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 17(10): 1021-1029, 2004 Speckle tracking echo.
45. Toyoda T, Baba H et al. Assessment of regional myocardial strain by a novel automated tracking system from digital image files. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 17(12):1234-1238, 2004 Speckle tracking echocardiography