History of Doppler Echocardiography
Timeline of the progress in Doppler echocaardiography
Another timeline and references
1956 Satomura S et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.1)
1956 Satomura S et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.2)
1956 Yoshida T et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.3)
1956 Hikita G et al. Continuous wave Doppler echo. (ref.4)
1956 Satomura S. Inspection of cardiac function by Doppler. (ref.5)
1959 Satomura S. Flow pattern in peripheral arteries by Doppler. (ref.6)
1961 Franklin DL et al. Continuous flow Doppler. (ref.7)
1961 Kaneko Z et al. Studies on peripheral circulation by Doppler. (ref. 8)
1966 Rushmer RF, Baker DW et al. Continuous flow Doppler. (ref.9)
1967 Baker DW et al. Pulsed Doppler. (ref.10, ref.14)
1967 Strandness DE et al. Continuous flow Doppler. (ref.11)
1969 Light LH. Observing blood-flow in human aorta by Doppler. (ref. 12A)
1969 Wells PNT. Range-gated ultrasonic Doppler system. (ref.12)
1969 Peronneau EPA et al. Doppler flow meter. (ref.13)
1971 Side CD and Gosling RG Esophageal continuous wave Doppler. (ref.15)
1972 Kalmanson D et al. Doppler flow meter, (ref.16)
1972 Olson RM and Shelton DK. Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler. (ref.17)
1973 Johnson SL et al. Pulsed Doppler echo. (ref.17A)
1974 Duck FA et al. Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler. (ref.18)
1974 Gosling RG et al. Arterial assessment by Doppler. (ref.18A)
1975 Tomlin PJ et al. Esophageal continuous wave Doppler. (ref.18B)
1975 Daigle RE et al. Esophageal Doppler. Examination of Dog. Not human, (ref.19)
1976 Nealeigh RC et al. A venous pulse Doppler catheter tip flowmeter. (ref.19A)
1978 Hisanaga K et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. This is the first human transesophageal
pulsed Doppler in history. (ref.20, ref.23, ref.25)
1978 Brandestini M et al. M-mode and multigated Doppler flow meter. (ref.21, ref.22)
1979 Histand MB et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler of AS. (ref.23A)
1979 Holen J and Simonsen S. Determination of pressure gradient of MS with Doppler. (ref.24)
1980 Hatle L et al. Assessment of AS by Doppler. (ref.24A)
1981 Schluter M et al. Mitral regurgitation detected by transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode by A.T.L.
system. (ref.26, ref.28)
1982 Hisanaga K et al. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler without mirror. (ref.27)
1982 Bommer WJ and Miller L. Real-time two-dimensional color flow Doppler. (ref.29)
1982 Namekawa K, Kasai C et al. Imaging of blood flow using autocorrelation, Color flow Doppler. (ref.30,
1985 Kasai C et al. Imaging of blood flow using autocorrelation. Color flow Doppler. (ref.32)
1986 Goldman ME et al. Intraoperative transesophageal real-time Doppler flow imaging. Color flow Doppler.
1986 Takamoto S et al. Transesophageal real-time Doppler flow imaging. Color flow Doppler. (ref.34)
1987 de Bruijn NP et al. Intraoperative transesophageal color flow mapping. (ref.35)
1989 Isaaz K et al. Ventricular wall motion measurement by Doppler. (ref.36)
1991 Bohs LN et al. Speckle tracking echocardiography. (ref.36A)
1992 McDicken WN et al. Color Doppler myocardial imaging. (ref.37)
1993 Becher H, von Bibra H et al. Contrast enhanced color Doppler. (ref.38)
1994 Sutherland GR et al. Color Doppler myocardial imaging. (ref.39)
1995 Tei C et al. Tei index. (ref.39A, ref.39B)
1995 Paika P et al. Tissue Doppler imaging. (ref.40)
1995 Miyatake K et al. Tissue Doppler imaging. (ref.41)
2001 Becker D et al. Color Doppler endoscopic ultrasound. (ref. 42)
2002 Trambaiolo P et al. Transesophageal tissue Doppler echo. (ref.43)
2003 Cheng MM et al. Transesophageal tissue Doppler echo. (ref.44)
2006 Ohtsuki S, Tanaka M. Blood flow velocity distribution by Doppler. (ref.45)
2010 Garcia D et al. Vector flow mapping. VFM. (ref.46)
2015 Voigt JU et al. Speckle tracking. (ref.47)
2022 Fraser AG et al. The most detailed history of echocardiography. (ref.48)
1. Satomura S, Matsubara S, Yoshioka M. A new method of mechanical vibration
measurement and its application. Mem. Inst. Sci. Ind. Res. Osaka Univ. 13:125-133, 1956
Continuous wave Doppler echo
Shigeo Satomura, PhD. From Short history of the development of ultrasound by Joseph Woo.
Shigeo Satomura, PhD. From Short history of the development of ultrasound by Joseph Woo.
2. Satomura S. Study on examining the heart with the ultrasonic Doppler method:
II. Equipment. Jpn Circ J 20: 227-228, 1956 Continuous wave Doppler.
3. Yoshida T, Mori M, Nimura Y, Okumura M, Hikita G, Nakanishi K, Satomura S. Study
on examining the heart with the ultrasonic Doppler method: Ⅲ. Kinds of Doppler beats. Jpn Circ J 20: 228, 1956 Continuous wave Doppler.
4. Hikita G, Yoshida M, Satomura S et al. Study on examining the heart with the
ultrasonic Doppler method : Ⅴ. Doppler beats of the valve. Jpn Circ J 20: 625, 1956
5. Satomura S. Ultrasonic Doppler method for the inspection of cardiac function.
J Acoust Soc Am 29:1181-1185, 1957 Continuous wave Doppler echo.
6. Satomura S. Study of the flow patterns in peripheral arteries by ultrasonics.
J acoust Soc Jpn 15:151-158, 1959 Continuous wave Doppler.
7. Franklin DL, Schlegel W, Rushmer RF. Blood flow measured by Doppler frequency
Shift of back-scattered ultrasound. Science 134:564-565, 1961 Continuous wave Doppler.
8. Kaneko Z, Kotani H, Komuta K, Satomura S. Studies on peripheral Circulation by
“Blood-Rheograph”: Jpn Circ J 25:203-213, 1961 Continuous wave Doppler.
9. Rushmer RF, Baker DW, Stegul HI. Transcutaneous Doppler flow detection as a
nondestructive technique. J Appl Physiol 21:554-556, 1966
10. Baker DW, Watkins D. A phase coherent pulse Doppler system for cardiovascular
measurement. In Proc. 20th Ann. Conf. on Eng. in Med. and BIol., Boston, Nov,1967
Donald Baker. From "History of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology".
11. Strandness DE, Schulty RD, Summer DS et al. Ultrasonic flow detection. A useful
technique in the evaluation of peripheral vascular disease. Am J Surg 113:311-320, 1967
Continuous wave Doppler.
12. Wells PNT. A range-gated ultrasonic Doppler system. Med Biol Eng 7: 641-652,
1969 Pulsed Doppler
12A. Light LH Non-injurious Ultrasonic Technique for observing Flow in the Human Aorta. Nature 224: 1119-1121, 1969
13. Peronneau EPA, Deloche A et al. Debitmetre ultrasonore: developpmements et applications experimentale. Eur Surg Res 1:149, 1969
14. Baker DW. Pulsed ultrasonic Doppler blood-flow sensing. IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics 17 (3): 170-184, 1970 See reference 10. Pulsed Doppler was reported by DW Baker 2 years before report of Wells.
15. Side CD, Gosling RG. Nonsurgical assessment of cardiac function. Nature 232:335-336, 1971 Esophageal continuous wave Doppler echo
16. Kalmanson D, Veyrat C, Derai C et al. Non-invasive technique for diagnosing atrial septal defect and assessing shunt volume using directional Doppler ultrasound. Correlations with phasic flow velocity patterns of the shunt. Br Heart J 34(10):981-991, 1972
17. Olson RM, Shelton DK. A nondestructive technique to measure wall displacement in the thoracic aorta. J Appl Physiol 32(1):147-151, 1972. Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler.
17A. Johnson SL, Baker DW, Lute RA, Dodge HT. Doppler echocardiography: The localization of cardiac murmurs. Circulation 48(4):810-822, 1973
18. Duck FA, Hodson CJ, Tomlin PJ. An esophageal Doppler probe for aortic flow velocity monitoring. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 1:233-241, 1974 Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler echo
18A. Gosling RG, King DH. Arterial assessment by Doppler shift ultrasound. Proc R Soc Med 67(6Pt 1):447-449, 1974
18B. Tomlin PJ, Duck FA. Transesophageal aortic velography in man. Can Anaesth Soc J 22(5):561-571, 1975 Transesophageal continuous wave Doppler.
19. Daigle RE, Miller CW, Histand MB, Macleod FD, Hokanson D. Nontraumatic aortic blood flow sensing by use of an ultrasonic esophageal probe. J Appl Physiol 38:1153-1160, 1975 Examination of dog. Transesophageal Doppler. Not human but Dog.
19A. Nealeigh RC, Miller CW. A venous pulse Doppler catheter tip flowmeter for measuring arterial blood velocity, flow, and diameter in deep arteries. ISA trans. 15(1):84-87, 1976
20. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A. A transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiographic system and initial clinical results. Proceedings of the Japan Society of Ultrasonics in Medicine 34:9-10, 1978 Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. This is the first human transesophageal pulsed Doppler in history. Improvement of A.T.L. system.
From ref.20 Transesophageal pulsed Doppler system.
From ref.20 Flow pattern in RVOT. Normal adult.
Kohzoh Hisanaga, MD. (Hisanaga K.) From "People who developed medical ultrasound". p35, Itoh K, Ed., Supplement of Proceedings of 60th Meeting of JSUM 1992. Kohzoh Hisanaga is not only an electronic engineer but also a medical doctor.
Dr. Hisanaga received the Honor Award of the Japanese college of cardiology in 1991 because Dr. Hisanaga developed Transesophageal two-dimensional echocardiography for the first time in history.
21. Brandestini M. Topoflow-A digital full range Doppler velocity meter. IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics 25(5): 287-292, 1978 M-mode and multigated Doppler flowmeter.
22. Stevenson JG, Brandestini MA, Weiler T, Howard EA, Eyer M. Digital multigated Doppler with color echo and Doppler display: diagnosis of atrial and ventricular septal defects. Circulation 60(Suppl ll): 205, 1979 M-mode and multigated Doppler flow meter.
23. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A, Ichie Y, Nishimura K, Hibi N, Fukui Y, Kambe T.
Transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography. Lancet 1:53-54, January 1979
Transesophageal pulsed Doppler with M-mode. Improvement of A.T.L. system.
23A. Histand MB, Wells MK, Reeves JT, Sodal IE, Adamson HP, Willson JT. Ultrasonic pulsed Doppler transesophageal measurement of aortic hemodynamics in humans. Ultrasonics 17(5):215-218, Sep 1979
24. Holen J, Simonsen S. Determination of pressure gradient in mitral stenosis with Doppler echocardiography. Br Heart J 41:529-535, 1979
24A. Hatle L, Angelsen BA, Tromsdal A. Non-invasive assessment of aortic stenosis by Doppler ultrasound. Br Heart J 43(3):284-292, 1980
25. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A. Diagnosis of heart diseases by transesophageal 2D echocardiography and transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography. Eizou Jouhou Medical (in Japanese) 13:1189-1192, 1981
26. Schluter M, Langenstein BA, Hanrath P, Kremer P, Bleifeld W. Mitral regurgitation detected by transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography. (abstr) Eur Heart J 2(suppl A):114, 1981 Transesophageal pulsed Doppler by improvement of A.T.L. system.
27. Hisanaga K, Hisanaga A. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography (third report): development of system without mirror and initial clinical results. Proceedings of the Japan Society of Ultrasonics in Medicine 40:171-172,1982
28. Schluter M, Langenstein BA, Hanrath P. Transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography in mitral and aortic regurgitation, In: Hanrath P, Bleifeld W and Souquet J (eds) Cardiovascular Diagnosis by ultrasound, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers pp132-140, 1982 Transesophageal Pulsed Doppler with M-mode by improvement of A.T.L. system.
29. Bommer WJ, Miller L. Real-time two-dimensional color flow Doppler-Enhanced Doppler flow imaging in the diagnosis of cardiovascular disease. (Abstr) Am J Cardiology 49:944, 1982 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler.
30. Namekawa K, Kasai C et al. Imaging of Blood flow using autocorrelation. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 8(Suppl l):138, 1982 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler.
31. Namekawa K, Kasai C, Tsukamoto M, Koyano A. Real time blood flow imaging system utilizing auto-correlation techniques. In: Lerski RA, Morley P (eds.) Ultrasound, New York, Pergamon Press pp203-208, 1982 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler.
Kouroku Namekawa. From "Meet The History" Japan Heart Foundation.
Mr. Namekawa received the Honor Award of the Japanese college of cardiology in 1990
32. Kasai C, Namekawa K, Koyano A, Omoto R. Real time two-dimensional blood flow imaging using an autocorrelation technique. IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics, 32(3):458-464, May 1985 Real-time 2D color flow Doppler
Chihiro Kasai. From Kobayashi Riken News No.67-6
33. Goldman ME, Thys D, Ritter S, Hittel Z, Kaplan J. Transesophageal real-time Doppler flow imaging: a new method for intraoperative cardiac evaluation. (abstr) J Am Coll Cardiol 7:1, 1986 Transesophageal 2D color flow Doppler.
34. Takamoto S, Kyo S, Matsumura M, Hojo H, Yokote Y, Omoto R. Total visualization of thoracic dissecting aortic aneurysm by transesophageal Doppler color flow mapping (abstract). Circulation 74(Suppl II):II–132, 1986 Transesophageal 2D color flow Doppler
35. de Bruijn NP, Clements FM, Kisslo JA. Intraoperative transesophageal color flow mapping: initial experience. Anesth Analg 66:386–390, 1987 Transesophageal 2D color flow Doppler
36. Isaaz K, Thompson A, Ethevenot G, Cloez JL, Brembilla B, Pernot C. Doppler echocardiographic measurement of low velocity motion of the left ventricular posterior wall. Am J Cardiol 64: 66, 1989 Ventricular wall motion measurement by Doppler.
36A. Bohs LN, Trahey GE et al. A novel method for angle independent ultrasonic imaging of blood flow and tissue motion. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 38(3):280-286, 1991 Speckle tracking Echocardiography.
37. McDicken WN, Sutherland GT et al. Color Doppler velocity imaging of the myocardium. Ultrasound Med Biol 18:651-654, 1992 Color Doppler myocardial imaging.
38. Becher H, von Bibra H, Walther M, Glanzer K, Vetter H. Contrast enhanced color Doppler-Basics and potential clinical value. In: Nanda NC, Schlief R (eds.) Advances in echo imaging using contrast enhancement. Springer Link pp253-271, 1993
39. Sutherland GR, Stewart MJ et al. Color Doppler myocardial imaging: a new technique for the assessment of myocardial function. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 7(5):441-458, 1994
39A. Tei C. New non-invasive index for combined systolic and diastolic ventricular function. J Cardiol 26(2):135-6, 1995
39B. Tei C, Ling LH, Hodge DO, Bailey KR, Oh JK, Rodeheffer RJ, Tajik AJ, Seward JB. New index of combined systolic and diastolic myocardial performance: a simple and reproducible measure of cardiac function--a study in normals and dilated cardiomyopathy. J Cardiol 26(6):357-366, 1995
40. Paika P, Lange A et al. Doppler tissue imaging: myocardial wall motion velocities in normal subjects. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 8: 659-668, 1995
41. Miyatake K, Yamaguchi M et al. New method for evaluation left ventricular wall motion by color-coded tissue Doppler imaging: in vitro and in vivo studies. J Am Coll Cardiol 25(3):717-724, 1995
42. Becker D, Strobel D, Bernatik T, Hahn EG Echo-enhanced color- and power-Doppler EUS for the discrimination between focal pancreatitis and pancreatic Carcinoma. Gastrointest Endosc 53(7):784-789,2001
43. Trambaiolo P, Salustri A et al. Assessment of left atrial appendage wall velocities by transesophageal tissue Doppler echocardiography: a clinical study in patients with sinus rhythm. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15(5):425-432, 2002
44. Cheng MM, Li J, White PA et al. Doppler tissue echocardiography: can transesophageal echocardiography be used to acquire functional data? J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16(7): 732-737, 2003
45. Ohtsuki S, Tanaka M The flow velocity distribution from Doppler information on a plane in three-dimensional flow. Journal of Visualization 9(1):69-82, 2006
46. Garcia D et al. Two-dimensional intraventricular flow mapping by digital processing conventional color-Doppler echocardiography images. IEEE Trans Med imaging 29:1701-1713, 2010 VFM. Vector Flow Mapping.
47. Voigt JU, Pedrizzetti G, Lysyansky P et al. Definitions for a common standard for 2D speckle tracking echocardiography: consensus document of the EACVI/ASE/Industry Task Force to standardize deformation imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 16(1):1-11, January 2015 Speckle tracking.
48. Fraser AG, Monaghan MJ, van der Steen AFW, Sutherland GR. A concise history of echocardiography: timeline, pioneers, and landmark publications. European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging 00:1–14, 2022 The most detailed history of echocardiography.
From ref.48 Page 1. Graphical abstract. Hisanaga’s research performance of transesophageal imaging is written in this abstract.